To the earth

My heart is hurting for the world this morning, and my prayers are with the people affected by the tragic event in Las Vegas. I wrote this poem this morning. Writing comforts me. And I don't know what we can do to comfort a world that hurts so deeply. I can't understand why things like this happen. I don't understand the brokenness of the world. I do know that God is the healer of broken hearts, and I know His love can heal even in times like this.

"Come to me, all you who are wearied and burdened, and I will give you rest." ~ Matthew 11:28


To the earth:

I imagine you
welled up with rain,
ground softened like
an embrace, mourning
loss you must now carry.
Oh, how much heavier
the weight of holding 
within you what once 
freely moved among.

I shall wrap you
in softest fleece,
ask the sun to linger
behind the clouds,
a gentle rainy lullaby to
play on every city
street, and fleece, its
warmth, to be wrapped

and there, in softness,
you will sleep. Rain will
fall, the sun will gather up its
rays, wait for dreams to run their
course and eyes to open, eager
for the sun, eager for hope,
and because the rain fell
while you slept, no room
for tears remains.


Comments

Popular Posts