Nanowrimo!

I am going to participate in Nanowrimo this year... Which means that in November, I am (again) going to attempt to write 50,000 words of one project in only 30 days. It might not be everyone's idea of a good time, but I figured this is a good reward for spending four years writing papers I didn't want to write. Look, I even get a fancy badge to put on whatever social media I desire!


The last time I did this was in my freshman year of college, and I only wrote a whopping 6,058 words of a really silly little story that maybe I will finish someday. This was because I didn't want to fail any classes and I had a decent amount of music whose memorization I was thoroughly procrastinating.

Here are some things I hope to get out of this experience next month:

1. An understanding of what it takes for me to be disciplined in my writing habits!

I definitely need to work on consistency. What better way than writing 1700 words every day for 30 days? Can anyone explain to me why I am so consistent at procrastinating? Is that my true calling? I swear if God told me the day I will die, I would do everything I've ever wanted to do in the week leading up to it.

2. To get over my fear of making some really terrible art.

The point is the first draft. The point is to get 50,000 words out there and to ignore the little voice in my head that says it isn't worth writing if it isn't good. And it will not be good. Chances are I will let no one read it. Ever. 

3. A first draft...?

I'm not telling how many times I have done Nanowrimo. That's between me and me. I will say that I have NEVER won it, not once, and that out of those losers, only one of the attempts has been fleshed out into a rough draft of a whole book. So the odds are ever NOT in my favor. But again, I don't care. I shall strive. 

4. I honestly don't know what else I hope to gain from this. I'm sure it will be fun, stressful, and weird. I don't know what I'm writing yet. I'm in a weird mood. 

We shall see if I queue up any blog posts for the upcoming month. If not, I'll see you in DECEMBER! 



Comments

Popular Posts